March 31, 2011
We are happy to announce an update to Handy Backup. The new version 6.9.4 features several new functions designed to help administrators deploy the software in an easier and more comfortable way.
- Automatic Registration. The installation package (handybackup_setup.msi) now accepts the REGISTRATION_KEY parameter which automatically registers the program during the first launch. It can be applied in the following way:
msiexec /i "handybackup_setup.msi" REGISTRATION_KEY="XXXXXXXXX"
(change the value inside the quotes to the desired registration number)
- Silent Installation. Another new installation option allows performing quiet setup, when no installation dialogs are displayed, and the program is silently installed to a default place. For silent installation, use the /quite parameter:
msiexec /i "handybackup_setup.msi" /quite
- Logging. To track errors during silent installation (or for any other administration purposes), you can now turn on event logging through the use of the /log parameter. The usage is as follows:
msiexec /i "handybackup_setup.msi" /log install.log
- Remote Installation. Handy Backup can now be installed remotely over Active Directory, by creating and applying the respective Group Policy on a network.
To learn about installing software over Active Directory, please see https://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102.
We hope that these features will make it easier to set up backup plans on any Windows network!
- Several users have reported that the option to delete unnecessary files during restoration (see Advanced Restore Settings for details) didn’t work correctly. This problem has been fixed now.
- Names of default tasks in localized (non-English) versions of Handy Backup were updated.
- There are some minor enhancements and fixes in graphical interface, logging engine and general performance of the program.